Friday, October 10, 2008

Open Source Scrapbooking

One of my new favorite sites is Burda Style. It is a site dedicated to Open Source Sewing. It is modeled after the Open Source Software movement. As a computer science student, I became interested in open source. So, I'm intrigued by how to apply this concept to other 'arts'.

On Burda Style, all patterns and designs are free -- an often used term in open source is, "Free as in speech, not free as in beer." There is a fee for some patterns, but they pass on to you the license to create work using the patterns and/or modify the patterns. You are allowed to distribute (for a fee, if you wish) your creations (both items using the original pattern and modified patterns) , as long as you pass the same license onto the recipients.

I'm interested in applying the open source concept to my digital scrapbook kits, so I plan on licensing them under the spirit of the GNU General Public License. So, I will be copylefting my digital designs. Please see this wiki on Copyleft for a simplified description. For now, all my kits are free (no fee) and free (open).

I still have some questions about how to completely comply with the Open Source Initive. I'm looking for people of like minds to help me define Open Source Scrapbooking.

No comments: